Janesville gets more than $900,000 from FEMA - WKOW 27: Madison, WI Breaking News, Weather and Sports

Janesville gets more than $900,000 from FEMA

CHICAGO (WKOW) - The city of Janesville will get more than $900,000 for the acquisition and removal of nine structures. The money comes from the U.S. Department of Homeland Security's Federal Emergency Management Agency and the Hazard Mitigation Grant Program.

"This project will ensure the health, safety and welfare of the people who lived in these homes," said Janet M. Odeshoo, acting regional administrator, FEMA Region V.  "The acquisition will help prevent future structural losses, emergency repair costs and the financial obligations of federal, state and local governments."

The $933,563 in HMGP funds will be used to remove homes from the 100-year floodplain, returning the area to open space in perpetuity. The Federal Emergency Management agency says HMGP projects like this are the cornerstone of disaster prevention efforts, and illustrate the importance of local, state and federal government working together for the benefit of citizens.

"We continue to deal with the after effects of the devastating 2008 flooding," said Wisconsin Emergency Management Administrator Johnnie Smith.  "This funding will help many families impacted by the floods in the Janesville area start over."

HMGP provides grants to state and local governments to implement long-term hazard mitigation measures.  Through HMGP, FEMA will pay 75 percent of the project costs.  The remaining 25 percent of the cost will be provided through a combination of funds from the state of Wisconsin and the city of Janesville.  The Wisconsin Department of Commerce is providing the city with a Community Development Block Grant for the local match.

Powered by Frankly