Memorial for UW student who died of bacterial meningitis - WKOW 27: Madison, WI Breaking News, Weather and Sports

UPDATE: Memorial for UW student who died of bacterial meningitis

Posted: Updated:

MADISON (WKOW)-- A UW-Madison student has died from meningococcal disease.

Neha Suri, a senior from Singapore, was at the UW studying journalism and political science.

Suri passed away on Tuesday, February 2nd at UW Hospital.

A campus memorial is tentatively planned for 4 p.m. Wednesday, Feb. 3 in the Virginia F. Harrison Parlor in Lathrop Hall, 1050 University Avenue.

In addition to working for Recreational Sports at the SERF and writing for the Daily Cardinal, Suri also interned at the state Capitol and was active in the campus arts scene.

"We're tremendously saddened at this news," says Dean of Students Lori Berquam. "The outpouring of love toward Neha and her family has been absolutely remarkable. It is a rare thing, and I know people will appreciate the person she was and the impact she had on so many."

"Neha was beloved by all who knew her," adds Dale Carruthers, Recreational Sports director. "Her smile and warm demeanor made her a pleasure to be around. She represented Recreational Sports very well and we will miss her both personally and within the work environment."

Meningococcal disease is a rare and serious bacterial infection that can cause very grave illness or death.


MADISON (WKOW) -- A UW-Madison student is in critical condition with bacterial meningitis.

Dr. Sarah Van Orman, director of University Health Services, tells the Wisconsin State Journal on Monday that the health service learned about the illness on Jan. 25.

Since then, several people who were in close contact with the female student have been given antibiotics to try to prevent them from getting sick.

She says the university didn't make a public announcement about the illness because the people who needed to know had been told and there was no threat to the general public.

Bacterial meningitis causes swelling of the membrane that covers the brain or spinal cord. It can be deadly.

Health officials say it can't be spread by casual contact.

Powered by Frankly