Child causes accidental apartment fire in Madison - WKOW 27: Madison, WI Breaking News, Weather and Sports

Child causes accidental apartment fire in Madison

MADISON (WKOW) -- Seven children and three adults are safe after an apartment fire caused $150,000 in smoke and fire damage.

The City of Madison Fire department responded at 12:20 a.m. Monday. They found fire blowing from a first floor window. They encountered thick, black smoke upon entering, and quickly extinguished the fire in the kitchen area.

Investigators say the fire was accidental; an object on the stove caught fire after a young child turned the stove on. That unit suffered major fire and smoke damage, but the other units only suffered smoke damage.

Everyone in the four-unit complex evacuated safely.

Powered by Frankly