4-year-old starts apartment fire in Madison - WKOW 27: Madison, WI Breaking News, Weather and Sports

4-year-old starts apartment fire in Madison

MADISON (WKOW)-- A 4-year-old boy playing with matches in a bedroom started a fire at a Madison Eastside apartment building late Sunday afternoon.

The fire started about 4:40p.m. at 2322 Independence Lane. Everyone in the 36 unit apartment building got out okay. Fire crews kept the smoke and fire damaged contained to a third floor apartment.

The Badger Chapter of the American Red Cross is helping a family of five who were displaced by the fire. The fire caused about $25,000 in damage.

Children playing with fire cause hundreds of deaths and injuries each year in the United States. Preschoolers and kindergartners are most likely to start these fires, typically by playing with matches and lighters, and are most likely to die in the fire.

Powered by Frankly