State warns hunters about carbon monoxide dangers - WKOW 27: Madison, WI Breaking News, Weather and Sports

State warns hunters about carbon monoxide dangers


MADISON (WKOW) -- State officials are warning hunters about the dangers of carbon monoxide because nearly half the carbon monoxide related deaths in Wisconsin happen during the winter.

Products used by outdoor enthusiasts and hunters can cause high carbon monoxide levels. Those products include portable generators, propose or kerosene heaters, unvented furnaces and grills used in an enclosed area, like ice fishing shanties and tents.

The gas is colorless and has no odor but can be generated by improper ventilation of furnaces, gasoline-powered tools, heaters, car exhaust systems and wood-burning stoves. Breathing in the gas can cause death within minutes.

State health officials say carbon monoxide detectors are the best way to know when there are dangerous levels of the gas around.

Powered by Frankly