Bad feed killed Wisconsin cattle - WKOW 27: Madison, WI Breaking News, Weather and Sports

Bad feed killed Wisconsin cattle

Courtesy: WAOW Courtesy: WAOW

MADISON (WKOW) -- The 200 cows recently found dead in a Portage County farm field were killed by a toxin found in moldy food, according to the UW Veterinary Diagnostic Laboratory that examined the dead animals.

The sweet potatoes apparently were mixed in with potato waste fed to the animals. Tests on feed samples revealed the presence of the toxin, ipomeanol.

The doctors who examined the animals say sweet potato waste was a major component of the animals' diet at the time they were found on Jan. 14. They also point out the potatoes were never in the human food supply chain and there is no risk to human heath.


Powered by Frankly