HARTFORD, Conn. (WKOW) -- A Connecticut jury has resumed deliberations in the trial of a former advertising executive charged with kidnapping his ex-wife and holding her hostage for nearly 12 hours before burning down the house they once shared.
The six jurors in Richard Shenkman's trial began deliberating the case Monday afternoon and resumed Tuesday morning.
A prosecutor said in closing arguments that Shenkman was mounting an insanity defense because he wanted to avoid prison time.
But Shenkman's lawyer said two psychiatrists testified he was psychotic during the series of events in 2009, and previously had been diagnosed with mental health problems.
The defense also argued that Shenkman should not be convicted of burning the house, saying evidence suggests the fire began after police fired gas canisters into the home.
(Copyright 2011 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)