UPDATE: Walker campaign will not challenge any recall signatures - WKOW 27: Madison, WI Breaking News, Weather and Sports

UPDATE: Walker campaign will not challenge any recall signatures

Posted:

MADISON (WKOW) -- Governor Scott Walker will not challenge any of the one million signatures submitted to recall him from office.

A spokesperson for the Governor's campaign told 27 News they simply weren't given enough time to review all of them.

Just last week, a Madison judge turned down a request from the Friends of Scott Walker for an additional two weeks to continue reviewing signatures.

That meant the challenges were due to the Government Accountability Board at 5:00 p.m. on Monday.

Despite what Governor Walker's campaign spokesperson called a massive grassroots volunteer effort, they weren't even able to review half of the signatures submitted.

"We were given 30 days to review 152,000 pages of petitions, which is half the time that signature gatherers were given to gather the signatures," said Ciara Matthews, spokesperson for Friends of Scott Walker.  "For obvious reasons, the review process is a much more time intensive and grueling process than actually gathering them."

But, Democrats said the Governor's failure is their victory.

"They had more money than Mammon," said Democratic Party of Wisconsin Spokesperson Graeme Zielinski. "They had supposedly 13,000 volunteers, they had three times the statutory requirement for time, they had months to prepare and they weren't able to produce a single signature."

Ciara Matthews says that out of the roughly 400,000 signatures they did review, less than 20 percent were found to be fraudulent.
    
"It certainly would hold that from a strictly statistical standpoint, sure, that 10 to 20 percent rate is likely to continue even if we had taken a look at all those signatures," admitted Matthews.

Instead of a challenge, the Friends of Scott Walker submitted a four-page letter, encouraging the GAB to still weed out duplicate and fake names and to allow Tea Party groups to submit challenges at a later date.

But the GAB has already determined they will not consider challenges from third parties.

Democrats want to see the process move forward.

"We don't believe Scott Walker's been honest, we don't believe his challenges are in good faith," said Zielinski. "They've been in bad faith and we think today represents a total victory for our side and we hope this election happens sooner, rather than later."

GAB Spokesperson Reid Magney told 27 News that the earliest any recall election would be held is May 1.

The GAB wants city and county clerks from around the state to be able to focus solely on the Republican Presidential Primary, which is set for April 3.

********

MADISON (WKOW) -- Governor Scott Walker's campaign will not challenge any of the recall signatures filed against him.

A spokesperson for the campaign says they did not have enough time to review the more than 150,000 pages filed seeking his recall.

Any challenges would have to be submitted by 5 p.m. Monday, but the Friends of Scott Walker state that it has only been able to review about 350,000 of the one million recall signatures.

However, the Governor's campaign did file a four-page legal document with the GAB on Monday morning.

Written by an attorney from the Michael, Best and Freidrich law firm, the document demands that the GAB follow the order of Waukesha County Judge Mac Davis.

Judge Davis' order requires the GAB to identify and strike duplicate and fictitious names during its own petition review process.  

The GAB has previously stated that it is adhering to that order.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MADISON (WKOW) -- Governor Scott Walker's campaign will not challenge any of the recall signatures filed against him.

A spokesperson for the campaign says they did not have enough time to review the more than 150,000 pages filed seeking his recall.

Monday is the deadline to file challenges after a Dane County judge granted him a 20-day extension beyond the 10 days allotted under state law. Walker also sought an additional two weeks, but was turned down.

The campaign will rely on the Government Accountability Board to strike fraudulent signatures instead of filing any challenges.

The campaign plans to release a statement Monday afternoon about its decision.

********

MADISON (WKOW) -- Monday is the deadline for Governor Scott Walker to challenge signatures in recall petitions against him.

The Governor's team was given 30 days to review the petitions, which is 20 more than the 10 days normally allowed, but 14 days less than they were hoping for. A judge refused to grant him another two weeks to review the signatures.

Recall organizers turned in more than one million signatures against Governor Walker, and 540,208 must be verified to trigger a recall election against him.

When arguing for the extra two-week extension, Walker's campaign argued it could not review all of the signatures in time to meet the February 27 deadline.

Powered by Frankly