DANE COUNTY (WKOW) -- Authorities say a 2-year-old girl has died, and her 4-year-old brother is in the hospital after ingesting gasoline Sunday.
Officials with the Dane County Sheriff's Office says emergency crews were called to the 1100 Berlin Road in Medina Township around 6:40 p.m. Sunday.
Authorities say the girl was taken to St. Mary's Hospital in Sun Prairie where she was pronounced dead, while her brother was taken by helicopter to UW Hospital. There's no word yet on his condition.
According to a news release, the 34-year-old mother and her two children live in Portage, but were staying with a friend when the incident occurred.
Authorities will continue investigating how this happened. More details will be released as they become available.
TOWN OF MEDINA (WKOW) -- Two young children needed emergency medical care after ingesting gasoline.
Dane County authorities say one was taken from the scene by ambulance, the other by med-flight helicopter.
Sgt. Tim Elve with the Dane County Sheriff's Office told WKOW's Danielle Lama at the scene that a brother and sister, ages three and four, got into an unlocked car near their home on the 1100 block of Berlin Road in the town of Medina.
Sgt. Elve says they believe the kids were playing with a container of gasoline in the car and somehow ingested it. He says their mother was inside the home at the time.
Police at the scene say it was not the family's car.
Dane County Communications says the call came in at 6:36 p.m. Sunday.
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2013 WorldNow and WKOW. All Rights Reserved.
Persons with disabilities who need assistance with issues relating to the content of this station's public inspection file should contact Program Manager Jessica Miller at 608-661-2794. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, at 888-835-5322 (TTY) or at email@example.com.