NEW YORK (WKOW) -- Federal officials are warning physicians and caregivers about the risks of giving the pain reliever codeine to children who have just had surgery to treat obstructive sleep apnea.
The Food and Drug Administration cites three cases where children died after being given codeine after their tonsils or adenoids were removed. A fourth child suffered nonfatal respiratory depression. The FDA says the children were given doses of codeine that were in the typical dose range.
FDA officials say some people metabolize codeine much faster than others, leading to greater risks of overdose and side effects, which can include death. It says if children who have been given codeine suffer side effects like unusual sleepiness, difficulty in waking, confusion, or difficulty breathing, they should stop giving codeine and seek medical attention.
For more information on the FDA's warning, click here.
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2013 WorldNow and WKOW. All Rights Reserved.
Persons with disabilities who need assistance with issues relating to the content of this station's public inspection file should contact Program Manager Jessica Miller at 608-661-2794. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, at 888-835-5322 (TTY) or at firstname.lastname@example.org.