UW-Platteville student starts fire making meth - WKOW 27: Madison, WI Breaking News, Weather and Sports

UW-Platteville student starts fire making meth

Posted:

PLATTEVILLE (WKOW) -- A small early morning fire Saturday on UW-Platteville campus appears to be the result of a student's attempt to make meth. According police, the student was using the "one-pot" method of cooking methamphetamine and ingredients started the fire in a plastic waste basket. The student put out the fire and emergency crews were contacted.

The Rountree Commons was evacuated shortly after 1:00 a.m. Most students were able to re-enter their rooms after about an hour. University officials say three people were treated at Southwest Health Center, including the student who started the fire. A resident assistant and a campus police officer were treated for smoke inhalation. Two other people were treated on the scene for smoke-related issued by emergency personnel.

After being released from the hospital, the student was arrested and taken to the Grant County Jail. The student is being held on a tentative charge of attempted manufacturing of methamphetamine.

Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and WKOW. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service and Mobile Privacy Policy & Terms of Service.

Persons with disabilities who need assistance with issues relating to the content of this station's public inspection file should contact Anna Engelhart at 608-661-2767. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, at 888-835-5322 (TTY) or at fccinfo@fcc.gov.