Wisconsin reminds residents of carbon monoxide risks - WKOW 27: Madison, WI Breaking News, Weather and Sports

Wisconsin reminds residents of carbon monoxide risks

Posted:

MADISON (WKOW)-- With temperatures beginning to fall, Wisconsin safety officials remind residents to protect their families for carbon-monoxide risks.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention says carbon monoxide is the leading cause of accidental poisoning deaths in the U.S. Nearly half of those deaths occur during the winter.

Carbon monoxide is an invisible, and odorless form of gas. It can be emitted from old or unvented furnaces of other gas-powered home appliances.  Exposure can cause headaches, dizziness, or nausea. It can also be fatal if ingested while sleeping.

The Wisconsin Department of Health Services says state law requires that every house have a carbon-monoxide detector in the basement and on every floor. Health officials also remind residents to test their detectors regularly, change the batteries every year, and make sure all heating appliances are well-ventilated.

Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and WKOW. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service and Mobile Privacy Policy & Terms of Service.

Persons with disabilities who need assistance with issues relating to the content of this station's public inspection file should contact Anna Engelhart at 608-661-2767. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, at 888-835-5322 (TTY) or at fccinfo@fcc.gov.