JANESVILLE (WKOW) -- The Janesville Fire Department says a fire caused about $50,000 in damage to an apartment Wednesday morning.
Around 9:30, firefighters were called to a three-unit apartment at 158 S. Cherry Street. Firefighters noticed smoke coming from the front upper apartment. Crews were able to contain it to that upper apartment.
The fire department says all occupants got out safely before firefighters got to the scene.
Investigators say a space heater that was left running while the occupant was gone caught nearby combustibles on fire.
One firefighter was hurt with a back strain during the response.
Damage is estimated at $40,000 to the building and $10,000 to its contents.
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2013 WorldNow and WKOW. All Rights Reserved.
Persons with disabilities who need assistance with issues relating to the content of this station's public inspection file should contact Program Manager Jessica Miller at 608-661-2794. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, at 888-835-5322 (TTY) or at email@example.com.