MADISON (WKOW) -- City of Madison firefighters, including the Hazardous Incident team, were called to the east side around 8:00 Wednesday morning for a report of a leaked chemical substance in a building.
The building houses Alfalight, a company which designs and manufactures high-power diode lasers for the industrial, defense and telecommunications markets.
A detection system within the building was triggered, leading to concerns arsine had been released. Arsine is a toxic, flammable and potentially explosive compound.
Eight employees were inside the building and were evacuated when the alarm sounded. Occupants in a neighboring building were urged to stay inside until the hazmat team could secure the area.
Crews entered the building in full turnout gear to prevent exposure. They found the storage cylinders where chemicals are stored and shut off all valves to prevent any potential leak. The ventilation system was used to clear the building of any residue gases leaked from the cylinders.
There were no reports of any injury or illness as a result of this incident. All employees have been allowed back in the building.
MADISON (WKOW) -- Madison Fire Department says hazmat was called to the area of Wright and Anderson Wednesday morning.
An alarm at Alfalight Lasers was indicating a hazardous gas. As a precaution, the building has been evacuated.
The fire department has set up a perimeter and states the substance is called Arsine, which is toxic and potentially explosive.
Firefighters are entering the building with their equipment to determine if there is a detection or trace of Arsine, or it is just a sensor malfunction.
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and WKOW. All Rights Reserved.
Persons with disabilities who need assistance with issues relating to the content of this station's public inspection file should contact Anna Engelhart at 608-661-2767. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, at 888-835-5322 (TTY) or at email@example.com.