MILWAUKEE (WKOW) -- April 7, 1993 was a scary day for many people in Milwaukee. The city had just learned that the water supply was contaminated with a dangerous parasite.
"They're doing everything they can to identify the organism and to make sure that whatever changes are needed to rectify the problem are made," Former Mayor John Norquist said 20 years ago.
The problem with the water turned out to be Cryptosporidium. The bug got past the city's water purification techniques. Some 400,000 people got sick and more than 100 died.
In response, Milwaukee overhauled it's water treatment facilities, implementing quality standards 50 times more stringent than federal guidelines.
5727 Tokay Blvd., Madison, WI 53719
News Tips: 608-273-2727 or firstname.lastname@example.org