BOSTON (WKOW) -- The U.S. Attorney General says the surviving suspect in the Boston Marathon bombings has been charged with conspiring to use a weapon of mass destruction against persons and property resulting in death, a charge that carries a possible death sentence.
In a statement Monday, U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder detailed the charge against 19-year-old Dzhokhar Tsarnaev.
Read the criminal complaint here.
Tsarnaev, the surviving suspect in the Boston Marathon bombings, made his initial court appearance from his room at Beth Israel hospital in Boston. He is listed in serious but stable condition.
Gary Wente, Circuit Executive of the 1st U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals, says the suspect made his first appearance before a magistrate judge Monday afternoon in Beth Israel hospital.
Officials say Tsarnaev and his older brother, Tamerlan, set off the twin explosions at last Monday's marathon, killing three people and injuring more than 180 others.
Tamerlan was later killed in a shootout with officers.
Two U.S. officials said preliminary evidence from the younger man's interrogation suggests the brothers were motivated by religious extremism but were apparently not involved with Islamic terrorist organizations.
BOSTON (WKOW) -- Boston Marathon bombing suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev is awake and responding sporadically in writing to questions.
ABC News reports investigators are asking about other cell members and other unexploded bombs. Previously officials said they were not able to interrogate him.
The 19-year-old suspect is being treated at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center in Boston, where he is listed in serious but stable condition, with wounds to the neck and throat area.
WASHINGTON (WKOW) -- Boston's police commissioner says investigators believe the suspects in the marathon bombing were likely planning other attacks.
Commissioner Ed Davis told CBS' "Face the Nation" on Sunday that authorities found an arsenal of homemade explosives following a gun battle between police and the suspects last week in Watertown, Mass.
Davis says authorities have reason to believe 19-year-old Dzhokhar Tsarnaev and his 26-year-old brother Tamerlan "were going to attack other individuals." He says the scene of the gun battle was "loaded with unexploded improvised explosive devices that actually we had to point out to the arriving officers and clear the area."
He said on "Fox News Sunday" authorities cannot be positive there aren't more explosives that haven't been found. But he says the people of Boston are safe.
Commissioner Davis says Tsarnaev is still in serious condition and authorities have not been able to try to interrogate him. Tsarnaev was taken to the hospital Friday after being pulled from a boat in a Watertown backyard. His brother Tamerlan died in a gun battle with police.
Boston Mayor Tom Menino says information he has indicates that the suspects acted alone. Menino tells ABC's "This Week" that he agreed with the decision to lock down Boston all day Friday, based on information officials had at the time.
Menino says that a pipe bomb was found at another location and that another person was taken into custody. The mayor did not elaborate.
The chairman of the House Intelligence Committee believes there's enough evidence against the Tsarnaev to convict him. Rep. Mike Rogers of Michigan tells NBC's "Meet the Press" that he's not worried that the government has decided against reading the suspect his Miranda rights. He says FBI agents need to know whether there are other bombs more than they need to use in court what the suspect might tell them.
Rogers, a former FBI agent, says there is so much evidence against the suspect that a conviction should be easy.
The governor of Massachusetts says he has no idea what motivated the two brothers to bomb the Boston Marathon. Speaking Sunday on CBS' "Face the Nation," Deval Patrick said it's hard to imagine why someone would deliberately harm, quote "innocent men, women and children in the way that these two fellows did."
The University of Massachusetts-Dartmouth, where Dzhokhar Tsarnaev attended classes is reopening on Sunday. The campus was evacuated Friday. UMass-Dartmouth officials say residence and dining halls will reopen at noon Sunday.
The school says counselors and members of the clergy will be on hand to help any students who are fearful or uncomfortable after last week's events. One student told The Associated Press he saw Tsarnaev on campus last week after the bombings.
There was no immediate word on when Tsarnaev might be charged and what those charges would be. The bombings killed three people and wounded more than 180.
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and WKOW. All Rights Reserved.
Persons with disabilities who need assistance with issues relating to the content of this station's public inspection file should contact Anna Engelhart at 608-661-2767. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, at 888-835-5322 (TTY) or at firstname.lastname@example.org.