FORT HOOD, TX (WKOW) -- A military jury has sentenced Maj. Nidal Hasan to death for the 2009 shooting rampage at Fort Hood.
Jurors began deliberating Wednesday morning, after the Army psychiatrist declined a closing statement. Hasan acted as his own attorney, and did not call witnesses or testify himself. He has said the attack was to protect Muslim insurgents fighting in Iraq and Afghanistan.
Military jurors found Maj. Nidal Hasan guilty last week of killing 13 people and wounding more than 30 others at the Fort Hood military base. The jury chose between life in prison and the death penalty.
FORT HOOD, TX (WKOW) -- Jurors began deliberating Wednesday in the case for the man found guilty of a shooting rampage in 2009.
Military jurors found Maj. Nidal Hasan guilty last week of killing 13 people and wounding more than 30 others at the Fort Hood military base.
Wednesday morning, after Hasan declined to give a closing argument, the jurors began deliberation. Hasan is acting as his own attorney. He did not call witnesses or testify himself and questioned only three of nearly 90 witnesses for the prosecution.
Through media leaks and statements, the American-born Muslim said he believed the attack was justified, as a way to protect Islamic and Taliban leaders from U.S. forces in Afghanistan and Iraq.
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2013 WorldNow and WKOW. All Rights Reserved.
Persons with disabilities who need assistance with issues relating to the content of this station's public inspection file should contact Program Manager Jessica Miller at 608-661-2794. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, at 888-835-5322 (TTY) or at email@example.com.