WASHINGTON D.C. (WKOW) --- Officials have released the names of the victims killed in the Washington Navy Yard shooting on Monday. • Michael Arnold, 59, of Lorton, Virginia; • Sylvia Frasier, 53, ofMore >>
Officials have released the names of the victims killed in the Washington Navy Yard shooting on Monday.More >>
WASHINGTON (AP) -- Defense officials say the suspected Washington Navy Yard gunman was currently working as a defense department contractor, but it's not clear if he was assigned at the military base in southeast D.C.
Defense officials say Aaron Alexis, 34, of Texas, was working as an information technology contractor, but it was not known which company employed him. As a contractor, he could have had a badge that might have gained him access to the base. Alexis was a former Navy reservist, serving from 2007 to early 2011.
The two officials spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to discuss it publicly.
Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University also says he was an online student pursuing a bachelor's degree in aeronautics. He started classes in July 2012.
Thirteen people were killed during the shooting rampage at Building 197. More than a dozen others were wounded.
WASHINGTON (AP) -- The Navy says a gunman who opened fire inside a building at the Washington Navy Yard was a full-time reservist from 2007 to 2011.
The Navy said in a release Monday that 34-year-old Aaron Alexis, of Texas, left the Navy on Jan. 31, 2011, as a petty officer 3rd class. It's not immediately clear why he left.
Alexis had been working for the fleet logistics support squadron No. 46, in Fort Worth, Texas. The Navy says his home of record was New York City.
Alexis was one of 13 people killed during the rampage.
Can't Find Something?
5727 Tokay Blvd., Madison, WI 53719
News Tips: 608-273-2727 or email@example.com