JANESVILLE (WKOW) -- Eight people in Janesville have been treated for carbon monoxide poisoning since Saturday, according to reports by the Janesville Gazette.
The newspaper reports firefighters responded to six carbon monoxide calls between Saturday and Monday. Janesville Fire told The Associated Press three of the calls were false alarms, but carbon monoxide was found in the three other homes.
A fire department spokesperson says two of the incidents were caused by furnace problems, but the cause of the third leak remains undetermined.
Four people were transported to the hospital in one incident involving furnace problems, and the family involved in the second furnace incident had to spend the night elsewhere.
In the third case, Dean Latka told the Janesville Gazette he woke up for work early Monday morning to find his wife already up and complaining she was hot and had a headache. He woke up the couple's daughter and son, who also complained of headaches. Latka got them out of the house and called firefighters. All four family members were taken to Beloit Memorial Hospital to get oxygen before being released. All of them had elevated levels of carbon monoxide in their blood.
The family didn't have a carbon monoxide detector in their home. Latka said the first thing he did after getting released from the hospital was buy two detectors, one for each level of his home.
Experts say you should also check the expiration date on your detector's sensors, have your furnaces checked annually and keep exterior furnace and gas dryer vent openings clear of snow.
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and WKOW. All Rights Reserved.
Persons with disabilities who need assistance with issues relating to the content of this station's public inspection file should contact Anna Engelhart at 608-661-2767. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, at 888-835-5322 (TTY) or at firstname.lastname@example.org.