MADISON (WKOW) -- Three people were taken to the hospital as a precaution after a Hazmat call in Madison Thursday night.
The Madison Fire Department says the injuries to the three are minor. Division Chief Art Price says all three were alert, walking and talking after being exposed to the chemical.
The Hazmat call came from Mentor Biologics, a drug manufacturing facility in the 500 block of Science Drive.
Price says the company was in the process of cleaning some cabinets, and some of the chlorine-based cleaner was released. Price says the main chemical in the cleaning agent is toxic, but the form the company uses was diluted, so the chemical was not at full strength.
Price says it is the company's policy to call 911 for any type of release as a precaution. He says the fire department treats all Hazmat calls seriously.
"With a Hazmat, it takes a bit more time because we'll be more cautious. We do research to know what the chemical is and what we're dealing with, and consult with the company to make sure that we know what we're getting into before we send our people in," Price told 27 News.
The fire department's Hazmat team went into the building to monitor the air quality.
Officials say there is no threat to the public.
MADISON (WKOW) -- Police and fire crews are on the scene of a Hazmat call on Madison's west side.
The Dane County Communications Center says the call came in around 5:40 p.m. about a hazardous materials situation at 535 Science Drive.
Our photojournalist at the scene says there are several ambulances and fire trucks, along with other emergency crews.
At this point, there is no word on whether there are any injuries.
Stay with WKOW.com for the latest on this developing situation.