MADISON (WKOW) -- Firefighters say a carbon monoxide alarm saved a life on Madison's east side.
Early Thursday morning, they were called to a home after a sleeping resident woke to find the deadly gas in his home.
Crews responded to check CO levels and found readings of 60 parts per million and climbing. Firefighters immediately began ventilating the home to release the gas. The reading inside the furnace stack was over 2000 ppm. According to officials, it should be under 100.
High levels of carbon monoxide can cause death within just a few minutes.
The homeowner's aging furnace was pushing CO into the living areas. Fire crews say it was 70 years old. Fortunately, they say the man installed a CO detector this past December. They believe the device saved his life.
Some area residents may be eligible for assistance with adding carbon monoxide alarms:
-You must own your own home in the City of Madison or the Village of Shorewood Hills
-Someone in the home must be: 65 or older, 5 or younger, or living with a disability
If you qualify, the MFD will:
-provide smoke alarms (powered by a10-year lithium battery, per City ordinance)
-provide the carbon monoxide alarms (plug-in)
-install the alarms
-provide you with fire safety information and education
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and WKOW. All Rights Reserved.
Persons with disabilities who need assistance with issues relating to the content of this station's public inspection file should contact Anna Engelhart at 608-661-2767. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, at 888-835-5322 (TTY) or at email@example.com.