MADISON (WKOW) -- A carbon monoxide detector installed in a home last month is credited with saving a Madison man's life.
Shortly after midnight Thursday morning, a carbon monoxide alarm alerted the sleeping east side man to the presence of carbon monoxide gas in his home.
The responding fire crew found high levels of carbon monoxide and immediately began ventilating the home to release the deadly gas. The reading inside the furnace stack was over 2000 parts per million(ppm), when it should be under 100ppm. High levels of carbon monoxide gas can lead to death within just a few minutes.
A Madison Gas & Electric crew also responded and found a problem with the furnace, which was at least 70 years old.
Fire crews say there is no question the carbon monoxide alarm saved the man's life.
City of Madison Firefighters installed smoke and carbon monoxide alarms in his home on December 10, 2013, thanks to a Fire Prevention and Safety Grant.
To be eligible through the grant program, you must own a home in Madison or Shorewood Hills. Also, someone in the home must be 65 or older, five years or younger, or living with a disability.
This is the City of Madison's third smoke alarm installation project. During the first two projects the Madison Fire Department installed 5,696 alarms in 1,135 homes. This current grant must be completed by April 2014.
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and WKOW. All Rights Reserved.
Persons with disabilities who need assistance with issues relating to the content of this station's public inspection file should contact Anna Engelhart at 608-661-2767. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, at 888-835-5322 (TTY) or at firstname.lastname@example.org.