Firefighters: gas leak "catastrophe" prevented during carbon mon - WKOW 27: Madison, WI Breaking News, Weather and Sports

Firefighters: gas leak "catastrophe" prevented during carbon monoxide detector installation

Posted:

MADISON, Wisconsin (WKOW) -- Firefighters installing carbon monoxide alarms at a Madison home found and stopped a gas leak in the process.

A news release issued Wednesday by the Madison Fire Department said the incident happened on Friday, January 17.

Firefighters were at a home on Adobe Way installing the carbon monoxide detectors when "they smelled natural gas," the release said.

Firefighters used a monitor and tracked the gas leak to a valve below the home's fireplace on the first floor.

The home was evacuated. Firefighters then shut off the gas supply and aired the house out.

The responding crew's lieutenant said his firefighters prevented a "catastrophe" from occurring.

The carbon monoxide alarms being installed at the home were paid for by a federal grant. The grant also allows the fire department to provide free smoke alarms to Madison and Village of Shorewood Hills homes.

To be eligible for a free smoke alarm or carbon monoxide detector, recipients must own their home and be either 65 years or older, have a child 5 year old or younger in the house or be living with someone with a disability.

Those interested in a smoke or carbon monoxide detector can call the Madison Fire Department at 608-266-4709.

Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and WKOW. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service and Mobile Privacy Policy & Terms of Service.

Persons with disabilities who need assistance with issues relating to the content of this station's public inspection file should contact Anna Engelhart at 608-661-2767. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, at 888-835-5322 (TTY) or at fccinfo@fcc.gov.