NEWARK TOWNSHIP (WKOW) -- A house fire in Rock County had traffic backed up for hours on Hwy 81 Wednesday night.
Crews responded to a residential fire at 12626 W. STH 81 just before 8:30 p.m. All occupants of the home were able to safely escape, but 3 dogs died in the fire.
According to the Rock County Sheriff's Department, an initial investigation suggests the fire started in the garage due to a space heater and they say there is nothing suspicious about the incident.
In addition to the house, two vehicles parked in the garage were destroyed. The cost of damages may exceed $100,000.
Traffic on Hwy 81 was backed for more than 4 hours. The Wisconsin Department of Transportation says the road was finally cleared just before 1 a.m.
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and WKOW. All Rights Reserved.
Persons with disabilities who need assistance with issues relating to the content of this station's public inspection file should contact Anna Engelhart at 608-661-2767. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, at 888-835-5322 (TTY) or at firstname.lastname@example.org.