MADISON (WKOW) -- A former aide to Governor Scott Walker will not continue her fight to block the release of thousands of emails and other documents uncovered during a secret investigation.
Kelly Rindfleisch pleaded guilty in 2012 to doing campaign work at her government job. Her decision to not appeal could result in the immediate release of the documents, which are likely to include communications with Gov. Walker and his campaign team about his 2010 gubernatorial race.
The Associated Press and others asked the state appeals court to make the records public, and the court last week ordered the documents released, but gave Rindfleisch 30 days to review the documents and point out any specific items containing private information to be kept secret.
But in a letter sent Friday to Court of Appeals Judge Patricia Curley, Rindfleisch's attorney, Franklyn Gimbel, said pouring over the thousands of documents wasn't worth the time or expense involved.
However, Gimbel again requested the records remain under court seal until Rindfleisch's conviction appeal is resolved. Gimbel said Monday that he would not ask the Supreme Court to review last's week document-release order.
Rindfleisch was one of six people convicted following a secret John Doe investigation into former aides and associates of Walker's when he worked as Milwaukee County executive, prior to his being elected governor in 2010.
Rindfleisch was hired in January 2010 as Walker's deputy chief of staff, but she also did campaign work on county time for Brett Davis, who was running as a Republican for lieutenant governor. Davis lost to Rebecca Kleefisch, who is now lieutenant governor.
Rindfleisch pleaded guilty in 2012 to one felony count of misconduct in office for doing campaign work at her government job and sentenced to six months in jail and three years of probation.
Can't Find Something?
5727 Tokay Blvd., Madison, WI 53719
News Tips: 608-273-2727 or firstname.lastname@example.org