Smoking to blame in fatal, Racine house fire - WKOW 27: Madison, WI Breaking News, Weather and Sports

Smoking to blame in fatal, Racine house fire

Posted: Updated:

RACINE, Wisconsin (WKOW) -- Authorities say careless smoking caused a house fire that killed a 61-year-old man in Racine.

Firefighters were called to the home just before midnight Tuesday and found fire coming from the roof. Once firefighters were able to force their way inside, they found Mark Halonen on a couch in the living room, where the fire started.

Lt. Craig Ford of the Racine Fire Department tells The Journal Times the fire was caused by careless use of smoking materials.

Racine County Medical Examiner Michael Payne says Halonen died of thermal injures from the flames and extreme heat.

Crews worked on boarding up the damaged home early Wednesday.

Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and WKOW. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service and Mobile Privacy Policy & Terms of Service.

Persons with disabilities who need assistance with issues relating to the content of this station's public inspection file should contact Anna Engelhart at 608-661-2767. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, at 888-835-5322 (TTY) or at fccinfo@fcc.gov.