SYRACUSE, N.Y. (AP) -- A New York hospital is banning electronic cigarettes after a patient on oxygen was burned by a fire that erupted while she was puffing on one of the devices. Syracuse Fire Department investigator Joe Galloway tells The Post-Standard the exact cause of last month's fire at St. Joseph's Hospital Health Center has not yet been determined. But he says the patient had a battery-powered e-cigarette, which uses a heating element to vaporize nicotine. Hospital officials have not identified the patient. They say she suffered first- and second-degree burns across her face, but is home and doing well. Since the fire, St. Joseph's officials have told patients they aren't allowed to use e-cigarettes. The hospital also prohibits tobacco use on its campus.
MORE LOCAL NEWS              <a href="/Global/category.asp?C=135516&nav=menu1362_2_5"> more >></a>MORE LOCAL NEWSMore>>
Persons with disabilities who need assistance with issues relating to the content of this station's public inspection file should contact Anna Engelhart at 608-661-2767. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, at 888-835-5322 (TTY) or at firstname.lastname@example.org.