Susan G. Komen's Madison chapter talks about what it offers to l - WKOW 27: Madison, WI Breaking News, Weather and Sports

Susan G. Komen's Madison chapter talks about what it offers to local patients

Posted: Updated:

MADISON (WKOW) -- With October being Breast Cancer Awareness Month, the Susan G. Komen Foundation is trying to get the word out to women about how it can help those who find themselves with a cancer diagnosis.

Michelle Heitzinger with the Madison area chapter says the Susan G. Komen Foundation is there for women who don't have insurance and get breast cancer. Heitzinger says, "If you don't have a doctor's office to call, you call us. The money we raise stays here locally. Our money helps pay for treatment and the barriers to treatment like transportation to and from treatment, rent, food, child care and cell phone bills."

Heitzinger says of the funds they raise, 75% goes to those services. The other 25% goes to research at the national and international level, some of which is being done at UW-Madison. Much of the research being done recently is on metastatic breast cancer, according to Heitzinger. "Metastatic is a terminal illness and that means these women will live with this disease until their last day and they will fight it until their last day. One-third of Komen's research portfolio is going to metastatic research. It's $17 million dollars, and that's added to the $130 million we already have in metastatic research,"

Heitzinger says checking for breast cancer is not just about feeling a lump. There are many visual signs you should be looking for. For a list of those, head to this website

Powered by Frankly