Big donation helps saves lives - WKOW 27: Madison, WI Breaking News, Weather and Sports

Big donation helps saves lives

Posted: Updated:

MADISON (WKOW) -- On Thursday, Madison Fire Chief Steve Davis and Gigi Lubin with First Alert stopped by Wake Up Wisconsin to share details about a major donation.

Carbon monoxide alarms do not last forever.  Many local property owners installed detectors in 2008 to comply with a state law requiring CO alarms in all residential buildings with three or more dwelling units.  Effective 2011, CO alarms are required in all one- and two-family dwellings, including single family homes.

Detectors installed at that time had a 5- to 7-year lifespan and are likely in need of replacement.

Just in time, First Alert is donating 200 carbon monoxide alarms to the Madison Fire Department. 

“The donation from First Alert comes at an important time. Using alarms that are past their useful life may have serious consequences,” said Madison Fire Marshal Ed Ruckriegel. “We are pleased to receive this generous donation. It helps remind all of us to install working carbon monoxide alarms and replace older ones to stay safe.”

Carbon monoxide poisoning can happen anywhere anytime, particularly in homes that contain fuel-burning appliances such as furnaces, stoves and ovens, water heaters, dryers, and fireplaces.

At minimum, residences should have a CO detector near sleeping areas. The next best location for additional detectors is in the area of major gas-burning appliances but not within 15 feet of the appliance itself. In general, follow the manufacturer’s instructions for installation location.

To request a carbon monoxide detector, call (608) 261-9844.

Detectors will be distributed to owner-occupied homes resided by children under five years of age and/or seniors 65 years and older.

Powered by Frankly