MADISON (WKOW) -- It doesn't matter how careful you are, sometimes you just get stung by a bee. But once you've been stung, it's critical that you do the right thing after. The first step is to make sure that there isn't a stinger left behind and stuck in your skin somewhere. Doctors suggest using tweezers or even a credit card and rubbing it along the skin to get it out.
For relief, doctors say to use cool compression to help reduce swelling. They also suggest an over-the-counter anti-inflammatory for that as well. There's also a risk of infection when you get stung. If you see redness that's expanding and warm, call your local doctor to see if there's an infection developing.
One of the most common fears people have after getting stung by a bee is an allergic reaction. Signs of an allergic reaction is a scratchy throat, difficulty breathing, face swelling, rapid pulse, or dizziness. If you experience any of those symptoms, you should call 911 immediately.