MADISON (WKOW) -- As we gear up for Halloween on Wake Up Wisconsin, we have a special treat to share with you.
Amanda Cupcake, the Cupcake Queen, stopped by our show Saturday morning to demonstrate a recipe you can make and share with your kids -- monster cookie dough bark.
Here is what you need to bring this recipe into your home:
Ingredients for Cookie Dough "filling":
-1 stick unsalted butter, softened
-1/3 Cup brown sugar
-1/3 cup fine baking sugar
-1 ½ tsp pure vanilla extract
-Optional ¼ tsp almond extract
-1/2 tsp salt
-1 ¼ cup all-purpose flour
-2-3 tablespoons milk
-1 cup mini chocolate chips
Ingredients for Bark & Toppings:
-1-2 bags of dark chocolate candy melts/wafers
-"Monster" sugar candy eyes
-Mini chocolate chip cookies (you can buy them in the cookie aisle at the grocery store)
-Your favorite trick or treat candies, chopped up into miniature pieces
-Cookie Sheet, lined with parchment paper
-Microwave proof bowl to melt chocolate candy melts in
1. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper and reserve enough space in your refrigerator for one cookie sheet.
2. Prepare Cookie Dough Filling: In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream the butter, sugar and brown sugar together until fluffy. Gradually add milk, salt, vanilla extract, and flour. Fold in mini chocolate chips with a spatula.
3. Pour candy melts/wafers into a microwaveable bowl. Melt in microwave, stirring every 25-30 seconds until completely melted and smooth.
4. Pour melted chocolate onto the cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. Using a spatula, spread the melted chocolate out into a thin layer on the pan. Set aside to dry. Tip: Place in refrigerator for about 10-15 minutes to make sure that the chocolate chills enough to set firmly.
5. Remove the cookie sheet of hardened chocolate from the refrigerator. Using a spatula (or clean hands), spread cookie dough in an even layer to cover the chocolate. Pour the rest of melted chocolate over the top of the cookie dough.
6. Quickly, before the top layer of bark dries, sprinkle cookies, monster sugar eyes, and treats on top of the bark.
7. Place the bark back in the refrigerator for about 15 minutes to set. When you remove the bark from the refrigerator, break into pieces and enjoy with your favorite little monster!