MADISON (WKOW) -- As many Americans focus on fish for Lent, others are just looking for new taste sensations.
On Wednesday, Chef Rod Ladson with Bonefish Grill stopped by Wake Up Wisconsin to share a few seafood dishes that have been created to please palettes and wow diners.
The chef brought along his trusty skillet and demonstrated how to make Seared Scallops in a Lime Tomato Garlic sauce at home.
The easy-to-cook shellfish is combined with a light, fresh sauce that brings out the sweetness in the scallops and adds the right bite of sharpness.
Click on the video above for more information. Recipes are listed below.
o ½ cup Lime Tomato Garlic Sauce
o 10 each Scallops, large (10-12 pieces per pound)
o 2 tsp Sea Salt
o 1 tsp Black Pepper
o 1 TBSP Vegetable Oil
1. Preheat the oven to 400°F.
2. Place a medium sized, oven-safe sauté pan over medium high heat.
3. Season Scallops with Sea Salt and Black Pepper.
4. Add 1 TBSP of vegetable oil to sauté pan.
5. Sear the Scallops on both sides until caramelized, about 3 minutes per side.
6. Transfer Scallops to the plate and pour Lime Tomato Garlic sauce on top.
7. Serve with your favorite green vegetable and rice.
Lime Tomato Garlic Sauce
o ½ cup Fresh Tomatoes, chopped
o ½ cup Sun-Dried Tomatoes, chopped
o ½ cup Dry White Wine
o Juice from 2 Lemons
o Juice from 2 limes
o 4 TBSP Garlic, minced
o 4 TBSP Sugar, granulated
o ½ cup Heavy Cream
o 2 tsp Sea Salt
o 4 TBSP Butter, cut into Cubes
1. Warm saucepan over medium high heat.
2. Place Fresh Tomatoes, Sun-Dried Tomatoes, White Wine, Lemon Juice, Lime Juice, Garlic, and Sugar in the saucepan.
3. Simmer ingredients 5-6 minutes while stirring. The mixture will reduce by half.
4. Add Heavy Cream and Sea salt.
5. Bring back to a simmer and reduce until sauce begins to thicken.
6. Add cubed Butter slowly while whisking.
7. Mix until fully combined.
8. Lower heat to keep warm or serve immediately over the scallops.
Wild Orchid Hawaiian Martini
Tropical Flavored Rum 2 oz
Coconut Water .75 oz
Simple Syrup .50 oz
POM Wonderful .25 oz
Fresh Squeezed Lime Juice .50 oz
Pineapple Juice .75 oz
Combine all the ingredients and shake until chilled. Strain into a chilled martini glass. Garnish with an orchid for some tropical flair!
Secrets to Shake it Up
* You can use any tropical flavored rum you like, we prefer to use a coconut or a guava flavored rum!
* Having a party? Turn this into a fun Summer Party Punch by increasing the volume level on the ingredients, place in a large punch bowl, chill with ice, and float orchids on top!
* Impress your friends with your bartending skills by muddling some fresh pineapple instead of using pineapple juice. Then garnish with a pineapple wedge on the side of the glass.
* Coconut water is rich in nutrients and an excellent source of hydration!