UPDATE: Manhunt suspect Jakubowski bound over for trial on three - WKOW 27: Madison, WI Breaking News, Weather and Sports

UPDATE: Manhunt suspect Jakubowski bound over for trial on three felony charges

Posted: Updated:
Jakubowski appeared in court via video conference Jakubowski appeared in court via video conference

JANESVILLE (WKOW) -- A Rock County court commissioner bound former fugitive Joseph Jakubowski over for trial Tuesday on three felony charges, as Jakubowski's attorney says the Janesville man was headed to South Dakota in his run from the law.

Michael Murphy also says Jakubowski is cooperating with federal officials in attempting to find missing weapons from a Janesville gun store robbery earlier this month.

Jakubowski entered not guilty pleas to the charges connected to the burglaries.

Rock County Sheriff's detective Ronald Betley testifies Jakubowski's DNA was found at the store crime scene.

Jakubowski was the subject of a nationwide manhunt after authorities say he robbed the store of 18 guns, and mailed an anti-government manifesto to President Trump.

Murphy says Jakubowski largely walked the 125 miles from the scenes of the robbery, and the subsequent arson fire of his car, to his eventual capture in Vernon County.  He says Jakubowski wanted to get "off the grid" and chose South Dakota as a destination because it had the space to achieve that anonymity.

"Most of the travels he made were at night, and a lot of times he was working without a compass,"  Murphy says.  "He did his best to avoid homes, roads and contact with people,"  Murphy adds.  "He didn't want to scare anybody."

Some firearms were seized when a landowner who encountered Jakubowski reported his location to Vernon County Sheriff's officials.  "His intention with the firearms was to essentially to protect himself and his family and friends,"  Murphy says.

A search warrant affidavit states one of Jakubowski's acquaintances, Omar Shabazz told authorities Jakubowski said he was on a mission and planned to take some unspecified action with people "in a building."

A federal magistrate Tuesday also set a Sept. 25 trial date for Jakubowski on two federal counts, including a felon in possession of a firearm.

********

MADISON (WKOW) -- The Janesville man who was captured after a nationwide manhunt refused to stand for a federal judge, as his attorney entered not guilty pleas for him Tuesday to weapons charges.

32-year-old Joseph Jakubowski wore a Rock County jail uniform and remained seated as Magistrate Judge Stephen Crocker entered the courtroom in Madison.

Jackubowski's attorney, federal public defender Joe Bugni says Jakubowski understands the case against him, and there are no plans at this time to assess his competency.

Authorities say Jakubowski stole eighteen guns from a Janesville store, after mailing an anti-government manifesto to President Trump.  Jakubowski was captured in Vernon County, after a land owner encountered him at a crude encampment and contacted authorities.

Federal charges against Jakubowski include being a felon in possession of firearms, and the theft of some of the store's guns.  Jakubowski is also charged in state court in connection with the theft.  He is scheduled to appear in Rock County court Tuesday afternoon.

Jakubowski did not speak during the brief, federal court arraignment.  A trial date of September 25 was set.

*****

MADISON (WKOW) -- The man accused of stealing guns, mailing a manifesto to the president, and leading officials on a two-week manhunt in Wisconsin has two court appearances Tuesday.

Joseph Jakubowski has a federal court hearing for gun theft charges in Madison Tuesday. It's an arraignment and detention hearing. That means he'll hear the federal charges against him for the first time, often the first step for a trial. The detention hearing part of that is basically just the federal version of a bail hearing. There, we'll find out whether Jakubowski has the possibility of getting out of jail on those federal charges while the case against him goes on.

In Rock County, Joseph Jakubowski has a preliminary hearing for felony charges related to the alleged gun shop burglary. That's where evidence can be presented to determine whether there's enough evidence to require a trial. Sometimes there's witness testimony. But Jakubowski can waive his right to this hearing, allowing the state can proceed on the criminal charges automatically. The last time Jakubowski appeared in Rock County Court via closed circuit television, he lashed out at the commissioner

Bond is set at $30,000 cash in the Rock County case. But Monday his attorney filed a "writ of habeas corpus,” which means he's challenging his detention and wants a valid reason for why he's being held.

27 News plans to be at both hearings Tuesday. We'll update you on 27 News at 5, 6 and 10 - as well as online and on Facebook.

Powered by Frankly