UPDATE: Greyhound bus threat suspect in U.S. illegally - WKOW 27: Madison, WI Breaking News, Weather and Sports

UPDATE: Greyhound bus threat suspect in U.S. illegally

Posted: Updated:

UPDATE (WKOW) -- Authorities say the man who made threats on a Greyhound bus in southern Wisconsin is in the U.S. illegally and has been deported in the past.

People on the bus called 911 around 9:45 p.m. Friday, trying to get help after the armed man threatened to kill everyone on the bus. Traffic was blocked for miles from Kenosha County into northern Illinois. 

Racine County authorities got behind the bus, lights and sirens blaring. Investigators say the bus driver didn't realize police were trying to pull him over, so the bus driver didn't stop, continuing into Kenosha County when finally spike strips were deployed.

The tires eventually went flat and the bus pulled over on to the shoulder just over the state line.

"I know it sounds rather hard to wrap your mind around, how do you not know you're being pulled over? I think he realized this was a serious event when we spiked his tires and his tires became flat and he ultimately rolled into the state of Illinois and came to a rest," said Racine County Sheriff Christopher Schmaling.

Once the bus stopped, authorities arrested 33-year-old Margarito Vargas-Rosas. Authorities say he was threatening to kill people on board and indicated he had a gun. He's charged with making terroristic threats.

Authorities say the bus driver was never threatened directly and he wasn't told to keep driving. The bus driver was simply unaware of the seriousness of the situation.

Vargas-Rosas is being held in the Lake County, Illinois jail. He'll make his first court appearance Monday morning.


WADSWORTH, Ill. (WKOW) - A person is in custody after a police pursuit of a Greyhound bus near the Wisconsin-Illinois border.

Authorities say the pursuit began about 9:40 p.m. Friday on Interstate 94 in Racine County after a report of an armed suspect aboard the bus.

The pursuit crossed into Illinois and the bus eventually stopped near the exit ramp to Route 173 in Wadsworth.

A Greyhound spokesperson says at least 40 passengers were able to evacuate the bus and no injuries were reported.

Authorities say the unidentified suspect was in custody after 12:30 a.m.

No further information was immediately available. An investigation is ongoing.

Powered by Frankly