Baby dies in Milwaukee house fire - WKOW 27: Madison, WI Breaking News, Weather and Sports

Baby dies in Milwaukee house fire

Posted: Updated:

MILWAUKEE (WKOW) -- A one-year old died at a hospital after a fire Saturday night on the north side of Milwaukee.

Candles burned alongside stuffed toys on the front steps of the home that caught fire at 28th and Meinecke.

Neighbor Charlicia Brown saw the smoke and firetrucks next door at the home of kids who play with her kids.

"My prayers go out to the family because I did see one of the ladies coming from work that lived there and she was saying, 'oh my god my babies.' and she was like in a panic state," Brown told WISN-TV.

Firefighters say the first call for help was a 911 hangup. Followup callers said a child or children could still be trapped in the home. An adult on an upper floor may have helped rescue some of the children, but fire officials said it's not clear right now who was home with the kids on the first floor where it appears the fire started.  

"They really threw everything they had at it, they made an extremely aggressive interior attack and searched the entire time they were moving that hose line through pushing fire back and they were able to locate an infant, said Deputy Fire Chief Aaron Lipski.

Emergency crews kept the baby girl alive and rushed her to the hospital, but she'd suffered burns over 40-percent of her body and she died Sunday morning.

Powered by Frankly