MADISON (WKOW) -- A report from the New York Times found that dozens of people have died from carbon monoxide poisoning after forgetting to turn off their keyless ignition.
According to the report, since 2006 at least 28 people have died and 45 others have been hurt from the gas after they thought they had turned off their vehicles.
The report also highlights that in 2015 there was a class action lawsuit linked to 13 carbon monoxide deaths and keyless cars. However, that suit was dismissed by a judge in 2016.
The Society of Automotive Engineers called for automakers to have features, like beeps, to warn drivers if their vehicles were still running. Some car companies agreed to do so voluntarily, but others have not.
The report also says that Toyota vehicles, including some Lexus vehicles, played a part in almost half of those carbon monoxide deaths.
Still, the car company tells the paper that its keyless ignition "meets or exceeds all relevant federal safety standards."
Can't Find Something?
5727 Tokay Blvd., Madison, WI 53719
News Tips: 608-273-2727 or firstname.lastname@example.org