Carelessly discarded cigarette starts liquor store fire - WKOW 27: Madison, WI Breaking News, Weather and Sports

Carelessly discarded cigarette starts liquor store fire


MADISON (WKOW) -- from Madison FD:  A carelessly discarded cigarette is listed as the cause of a fire that damaged the Paradise Liquor Store on Tuesday, December 23.

  Madison Firefighters were called to 3173 Muir Field Road at 10:49 PM that night for a building fire.

  Engine 7 arrived within seven minutes and found a small fire smoldering near the front door of the business.

  Firefighters extinguished some burning cardboard, ventilated smoke from the building, and checked for any fire extension inside the building.

  Although the liquor store was closed at the time of the fire, there were people in other businesses and apartments within the building.

  The building's fire alarm system alerted these people of the fire and everyone was evacuated as a precaution.

  Customers and employees of a nearby pizza restaurant discovered the fire and used fire extinguishers, water, and snow to keep the flames in check until firefighters arrived.

  The fire caused approximately $5,000 damage including flame and heat damage to the building's exterior and some smoke damage inside the building.

  No injuries were reported.

Powered by Frankly