MADISON (WKOW) -- After more than 90 minutes of testimony Tuesday morning, the state Supreme Court is now considering a case challenging Gov. Tony Evers' Safer at Home order.
Republican lawmakers filed the lawsuit asking the high court to block Evers extension, set to expire May 26th, arguing the restrictions in place go too far.
Each side had have 45 minutes to present their arguments and the justices were expected to begin deliberations at 1:30 p.m.
A ruling is possible yet on Tuesday.
In announcing the lawsuit last week, Assembly Speaker Robin Vos (R-Burlington) and Senate Majority Leader Scott Fitzgerald (R-Juneau) said the state's legislative branch should also have a hand in determining how and when Wisconsin begins to reopen.
Evers responded to the lawsuit by calling it a play for political power.
"People die every day because of this and the more we screw around with it, the more people die," Evers said.
In its order Friday, the court said it is considering only two issues.
First, whether DHS Secretary Designee Andrea Palm violated state statutes by issuing the Safer at Home order, and if it exceeded the department’s authority by closing all “nonessential” businesses, ordering all Wisconsin persons to stay at home, and forbidding all “nonessential” travel.